Monday 23 July 2012

Wiggin' out

          OK so I have very little interest in sport and even less this year than most, but its come to my attention that Bradley Wiggins won the Tour de France and it's a fact worth celebrating. Not because he's English, but because he's so obviously one of us. For a start he's got a name that wouldn't be out of place alongside Alf Tupper, or for that matter Fred Perry - quintessentially old school. And Fred brings me to the second reason, his much avowed mod-ness - so we have arguably our first champion sporting mod (which sounds like a Hungarian football team but I digress. I wouldn't claim to be the first to mention it, even The Guardian has a piece on it today, but in his sideburned honour it seems only right to have the video that surely must have inspired him. And I suppose wish him good luck in that oversized sports day they're putting on in the East End.


No comments:

Post a Comment